TAKE ACTION TODAY TO SAVE THE BRIDGEPORT COVERED BRIDGE
THE PROBLEM: THE BRIDGEPORT COVERED BRIDGE IS CLOSED AND IN DANGER OF COLLAPSE. An important California Gold Rush era icon is threatened and needs your help. In 2011, State Parks closed the Bridgeport Covered Bridge to pedestrian traffic after engineers found severe and unsafe structural problems. The engineers estimated it will cost over $1 million to restore this treasured State and National Landmark, which is the longest single span wooden covered bridge in the world.
THE SOLUTION: The “Save Our Bridge” Campaign Committee has been working diligently to restore and reopen the historic wood covered bridge spanning the South Yuba River at Bridgeport. The Good News is that there has been a breakthrough: Governor Brown has allocated in his proposed budget the funds needed to complete the restoration and reopen the Bridge!
HOW YOU CAN HELP NOW: Now we need YOU to contact the State Legislators on the Budget Committees right away and let them know how important saving the Bridgeport Covered Bridge is to you and our Golden State.
PLEASE CALL, EMAIL OR FAX THE BUDGET COMMITTEE TODAY!
Please find Contact Information, “Talking Points” for calls, and Sample Letter below. (Help us track this effort: please let Andrew at SYRCL know how you helped at Andrew@syrcl.org)
FAX your letters to:
Senate Budget Committee fax is (916) 323-8386
Assembly Budget Committee fax is (916) 319-2199
EMAIL the legislators via their staff:
Richard Bloom: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Daly: email@example.com
Jim Beall: Catherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Richard Roth: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
PHONE calls to:
Richard Bloom – (916) 319-2050
Tom Daly – (916) 319-2069
Jim Beall – (916) 651-4015
Richard Roth – (916) 651-4031
TALKING POINTS FOR CALLS
• Support complete funding for the Bridgeport Covered Bridge Restoration Project.
• Time is of the essence in this particular case: the Covered Bridge has been closed since 2011 and is at risk of collapse. It’s a state and national landmark that must be saved.
• In the Governor’s January Budget proposal , the 5 Year infrastructure plan includes $1.2 million ($318,000 in 2014-15 and $943,000 in 2016-17) to complete the Bridgeport Bridge Restoration Project
• Support this budget proposal with respect to Phase 1, which is “shovel ready” now, and request that the Committee move the $943,000 already intended for expenditure in 2016-2017 to 2015-16.
• The South Yuba River State Park attracts up to 890,000 annual visitors many of whom come to see the Bridgeport Covered Bridge.
• We have unanimous support from our local elected officials including the City Councils of Grass Valley, Nevada City and Truckee along with Nevada County Supervisors, who have all written resolutions in favor of the bridge restoration project.
The “Save Our Bridge” Campaign Committee would like to thank the following organizations for their support:
South Yuba River Park Association (SYRPA)
South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL)
California State Park Foundation
Nevada County Historical Society
Penn Valley Area Chamber of Commerce
Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce
Nevada City Chamber of Commerce
Economic Resource Council
Nevada County Board of Supervisors
Nevada City Council
Grass Valley City Council
Truckee Town Council
Bear Yuba Land Trust
Grass Valley Downtown Association
Penn Valley Rodeo Association
Sierra Cinemas Theaters
For more information about the campaign, visit: http://www.southyubariverstatepark.org/