Nevada City California’s 54th Annual Constitution Day Parade anchors a weekend of festivities on September 14 and 15, 2019 and this year, WE NEED YOU, so come on out and show your stars and stripes.
Bring your business, club or general awesomeness to town and join us in celebrating this great American tradition which honors our Constitution. Diversity welcomed. Entries accepted until Parade Day, September 15. Constitution Day Parade Application 2019
About the Parade
Founded by the late Col. William H. Lambert, Nevada City’s Constitution Day Parade has been held since 1967. It is one of the oldest and largest Constitution observances in the West, quite possibly in the entire United States. The event mixes fun and history and, since 1988, features the Famous Marching Presidents (and their First Ladies), a non-profit organization whose mission is to preserve and celebrate the importance of the United States Constitution and the Presidents elected to represent its citizens.
Art and Artifacts Part of Tradition
Nevada County artist and cultural icon R.L. Crabb joined the Famous Marching Presidents in 1993 and has created the Famous Marching Presidents logo annually ever since, with the Official Seal established in 1996. Known for his humor, one of his favorite logos shows Bill Clinton requesting advice from John F. Kennedy. This year, the logo gives a nod to Apollo 11 and the 50th anniversary of the first humans landing on the Moon, July 20, 1969. See the full history of artwork here. <https://famousmarchingpresidents.org/?page_id=13>
Nevada City Constitution Day Schedule
Saturday, September 14th
* Revolutionary War Living History at Pioneer Park, 10am to 5pm
* Open Air Free Outdoor Concert by the Nevada County Concert Band on Pine Street, Downtown Nevada City, 4:30-6:15pm
Sunday, September 15th
* Revolutionary War Living History at Pioneer Park, 10am to noon
* Reenactment of the Signing of the U.S. Constitution, Broad and Pine streets, 1:30pm
* 54th Annual Constitution Day Parade – Broad Street, Historic Downtown Nevada City, 2pm
* 28th Annual 49er Rotary Club Gold Country Duck Race, Deer Creek, Downtown Nevada City. Carnival from 1pm, Racing begins at 2:30pm
Free Parking & Shuttle
Nevada County Government Center to Washington Street Overpass Noon-6pm.
Call Nevada City Chamber at (530) 265-2692 for details, or visit nevadacitychamber.com.
Photo caption: R.L. Crabb has done a distinctive logo for each year, shown here is a memorable favorite by the artist from 1998, as well as this years’s logo.