These annual awards honor businesses, organizations, and individuals who have made significant contributions to the Nevada City community. At this event the new Chamber board members will be installed. The winners will be selected by December 15th by the Nevada City Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
Award winners in 2021:
Artist Judith Lowry is the recipient of the prestigious Elza Kilroy Award for her significant contributions as both an artist, patron of the local arts, and work with the Nevada City Nisenan Rancheria. The Kilroy award, established in 1969, is given annually to a citizen or organization whose efforts help make Nevada City a better community.
Real Estate broker and philanthropist, Mimi Simmons will receive the Dave Irons Lifetime Achievement Award for her dedication to the quality of life in Nevada City, generous support of Nevada City youth, and enduring support of the Nevada City Chamber. Named for long-time Chamber board member and community arts leader Dave Irons.
Other 2021 recipients are
- The Nevada Theatre, along with artists Sarah Coleman, Miles Toland and Brianna French are being honored with the Dr. Leland and Sally Lewis Visual Arts Award for the beautiful new mural inside the Nevada Theatre.
- The Mines Foundry Cultural Center is the recipient of the Dr. Leland and Sally Lewis Performing Arts Award for their contribution–as the heart of arts and culture in Nevada City, hosting and producing over 400 events a year.
- The National Exchange Hotel is being recognized with the annual Stan Halls Architectural Award for their extensive, three-year, floor-to-rafters renovation of one of the oldest continuously operated hotels in the West
- Nevada City-musician Aaron Ross is the recipient of the Live Music Award. Ross has been a force for eclecticism inspiring generations of local bands and musicians.
- The New Business of the Year is Sunroom and Levity Resource. The two businesses teamed up to renovate an old retail space in the 7-Hills business district to create a nurturing environment offering massage, body care products, and locally-made products. They also collaborated with other local small businesses to offer gift cards and giveaways, both building and strengthening the downtown and 7-Hill business district.
- The Community Service Award is for unyielding dedication to community service, and improving the lives of others in Nevada City. Members of the community were asked to nominate someone via the Nevada City Chamber’s website – the winner will be announced at the Awards Dinner.