AHH, the Teddy Bear. He was, perhaps your pillow, your pacifier, or your all-around best pal. If you were like millions of other kids, a teddy bear helped you weather the storms of childhood – and maybe a few decades beyond. In its 28th year, the Teddy Bear Convention in idyllic Nevada City will celebrate the enduring charms and trace the birth of the teddy bear, more than a century ago, to its permanent place in the contemporary scene as the ubiquitous plaything and highly prized collectible.
Cool, Hip, Funky, Fun – Just a few of the words that describe the traditional introduction to the Spring Season at the Teddy Bear Convention in Nevada City, CA, one of the loveliest and liveliest towns in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. The convention sales floor is stuffed with thousands of lively, lovable, unusual, old and new teddy bears, their friends, and all of their accessories.
Convention organizer, Dorothy Drake observes that “This is one of the longest running Teddy Bear events in the country. It is a friendly imaginative event that will enchant you for a long time.” What started as a simple Teddy Bear Picnic in 1984 has turned in to a 2.5 day ‘happening’ for teddy bear geeks, devotees and fans – of all ages. The theme, Teddy Bear Adventures in the Enchanted Forest, creates the ambiance and sets the stage for Teddy Bear Fever.
Thursday, May 10 at Trolley Junction (at Northern Queen Inn), 400 Railroad Ave., Nevada City – There are 3 ticketed events to choose from. For the crafter that wants to know more about how teddy bears are constructed, there are 2 classes. And if you are new to the area and want to see the sights, or soak up some history, you’ll love the afternoon tour that includes the Empire Gold Mine!
Friday, May 11 – 12noon to 5PM and Saturday, May 12 – 10AM to 4PM at Nevada City Elks Lodge, 518 Highway 49, Nevada City – Convention floor will be open to all with events for all ages to enjoy. Bring a can of food for the Nevada County Food Bank and get $1.00 off your admission.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Exhibits: ‘Teddy Bears – Still Your Best Friend’ and a visual salute to the 28 year history of the Teddy Bear Convention
- Celebrity Guests: look for Smokey the Bear, Red Riding Hood, Grandma, Goldilocks, and Raggedy Ann
- Appraisals: Author and expert, John Port will be appraising visiting bears, so bring yours!
- For our young (and not so young) visitors: Storytime with Roz, ‘It’s OK to Touch’ shopping area, and a fun make’n take project.
- Teddy Dialogues Breakfast, Saturday, May 12 8:30-10AM (ticketed meal event). Start the day with a yummy breakfast at a teddy bear lover gathering featuring intriguing discussion topics.
For tickets & information: www.dolls4all.com or call Dorothy at (775) 348-7713