Points of Interest
Download the maps below:
South Yuba canal Building, Ott’s Assay Office
The oldest business buildings in Nevada City. The South Yuba Canal Building (1855), California Historical Landmark (CHL) No. 832, houses the Chamber of Commerce. Ott’s (1857) is where James J. Ott assayed ore in 1859 that led to the famous Comstock Lode silver rush in Nevada.
The National Hotel
The state’s oldest, continuously-operating hotel consists of four buildings constructed in 1854 and 1856-57. CHL No. 899.
The Nevada Theatre
This 1865 brick structure is the oldest building in the state erected as a theatre.
Firehouse No. 2
Built in 1861, this venerable brick firehouse near the top of Broad Street housed one of Nevada City’s first volunteer fire companies.
Miners Foundry Cultural Center
Now a community center, the foundry, built in 1856, contributed technology for mining, skiing and other industries.
Built in 1856 by civic leader and former U.S. Senator Aaron A. Sargent, this carefully restored and landscaped home is one of the most viewed in town. Now a bed and breakfast inn.
The Nevada County Courhouse
Nevada County justice has been dispensed here since 1855. The original courthouse burned in 1856, was rebuilt by 1864 and remodeled in 1937. The annex was completed in 1964.
The Old Brewery
The brewery dates to 1857; its granite walls to 1882.
Red Castle Inn
(1860), 109 Prospect St.
Nevada Lodge No. 13, F&AM
108 1/2 No. Pine St.
Nevada City Methodist Church
(1864), 433 Broad St.
St. Canice Catholic Church
(1864), 317 Washington St.
Trinity Episcopal Church
(1874), Nevada & High streets
Nevada City First Baptist Church
(1864), 300 Main St.
Museums & Historical Research
Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
#5 Kidder Court, 470-0902, Sat & Sun 10-4
Firehouse No. 1
One of the most photographed buildings in the Gold Country. Built in 1861, the building housed Nevada Hose Co. No. 1. Now a museum.
Doris Foley Historical Research Library
211 North Pine St.
Searls Historical Library
214 Church St.
Other Areas of Interest
Historic Gold Mines
Nevada County has a rich mining history
The Pine Street Bridge
This old-fashioned bridge across Deer Creek was built in 1996, a replica of the 1903 span. The first bridge here was an 1862 suspension bridge built by Andrew Hallidie, father of San Francisco’s cable cars.
The Chinese Quarter
Several Chinese businesses were located along upper Commercial Street in the 1850s-1870s.
(1851), Upper West Broad Str.
Lower Broad St. at Union St.
Park Ave. to Nimrod St.
Sugar Loaf Mountain
Landmark hill directly north of town
elev. 3,899 ft., area’s highest peak, 3 miles